Saturday, June 21, 2008

A Song to Sing

Goodbye four leaf clovers
Hello gone awry
Don't cry the fight ain't over
Unless you let it pass you by

I'm looking for a song to sing
Looking for a friend to borrow
I'm looking for my radio
So I might find a heart to follow
I've never been this longing for your lovin'
I've never been just wearin' down to nothin'
I've never been just looking for a reason
So that maybe you'll be thinkin of me oooh...
You'll been thinking of me

All that I have found in reason
Is reason just to not believe
And all that you are left is treason
Is treason just to let it be

I'm looking for a song to sing
Looking for a friend to borrow
I'm looking for my radio
So I might find a heart to follow
I've never been this longing for your lovin'
I've never been just wearin' down to nothin'
I've never been just lookin' for a reason
So that maybe you'll be thinkin' of

These blue yonder dreams and second hand shoes
You're so far gone that you're left to lose and
It's too late to go home all alone
You're the tar in that old cigar
And the worn out cable on a cable car
And you're too tired to admit you've got to choose

I'm looking for a song to sing
Looking for a friend to borrow
I'm looking for my radio
So I might find a heart to follow
I've never been this longing for your lovin'
I've never been just wearin' down to nothin'
I've never been just looking for a reason
So that maybe you'll be thinkin of me ooh...
You'll been thinking of me



It's a song by Hanson from their album This Time Around.
Brings me heartache every single time I listen to it.

I dunno how they did it, the three of them must have been between the ages 15-20 when they wrote it. But it sounds like some old guy lookin' back on his wretched life and wonderin' what could it have been.

Every word is heart-wrenching.

A large part of the album is pretty upbeat. Their usual sugary pop-rock at the time, which is why this song was even more of a contrast compared to the rest of it.

Trust me.

Taylor's voice isn't flawless. In fact, I think it's heavily flawed. But it's what makes his expression of sad songs even more believable. The way his voice was breaking when singing this song actually broke my heart as well.

I don't even know why I'm writing this.

Lately, well, I've always have it. A wave of nostalgia swept over me and I kept wanting to have a copy of that album in my laptop. I used to have a cassette tape version of it when I was in high school. But I can't put that into my laptop, can I?

So thanks to technology and the generous people who uploaded it online, I was finally able to download it.

It was like the sounds of my youth.

Haha I sound like an old wretch myself, don't I? Okay I know I am not that old but I am not young anymore either.

The longer you live, the more memories you're gonna have.
I finally understand that.

So anyway, nostalgia, to me, is always a sad thing.

People often say "both happy and sad memories".

Truth is, sad and dark feelings often etch themselves onto your heart much deeper than happy ones.

I'm not a pessimistic person. It's just the way things are.

And I'm not even talking about specific memories when I'm listening to this song. It's just a song that makes me sad.

But I like it.
It's one of my favourites in the album.

Now if you'll please excuse me and my melancholy thoughts.

No comments: