Friday, June 13, 2008

Dubai...everything to complain about

Okay, this will be the last of today's many entries.

Did I mentioned the ceiling lights in my room are dead?

For 3 whole months.

I used to change the light bulbs myself but this time they simply don't light up at all. So I guessed probably the wires or the head had burnt.

In the beginning, I always call them to tell them which days I'd be in for them to come repair it. But they never came when I was home.

Then a really nice security guard tried out the bulbs for me and confirmed that there's nothing wrong with my light bulbs and he will write about it in the maintenance report.

After a couple of weeks, still no one came.

Then one day, an electrician came up to take a look at it. I told him it's something else cos there's nothing wrong with the bulbs. He looked a bit blank but he kept saying "yes yes yes". I doubted that he did and asked, "Do you understand what I'm saying?" Again he answered yes and left. I asked him would he be coming back and he said yes. So I left the door open for him.

30 minutes later, the door was still opened but the electrician was nowhere to be seen. By now, I had given up trying to get them to work. A few minutes later, a guard called me and asked whether the repairman came up to fix my lights. I told him what happened. He blamed me for not telling the repairman what is wrong with the lights. I got really mad and retorted that I did and made sure that he understood me. Apparently, he said yes although he didn't understand anything at all. How was that my fault?

Since then, I have never asked them to come fix the lights. Especially this month when I'm on reserve, I dunno when is my day off until 2 days before.

A coupla weeks ago, security called again and asked whether they could send someone up to fix it. I replied groggily but sharply, "No. I'm sleeping."

I mentioned it to my friend next door and she said they also called her. But she waited for them the whole day and no one came at all.

That's why I tell everyone, if you have a better choice, don't ever come and live in Dubai. You will suddenly morph into a heart attack patient. That is, if you don't become limp getting rammed by a trolley pushed by an Indian or Arabic while doing grocery shopping. Or become clubbing-phobic because of being constantly hit on by sleazy Lebanese, Indians or Arabics here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi... i'm a malaysian aspiring to be a flight attendant for emirates. the only reason is to save money in 2 years then come back to malaysia to pay off my oans. from your experience living in high cost dubai.. do you think the salary is enough for one to save? how much do you roughly spend in a month? and (sorry... so many questions) how much is the salary per month?

Korshovaster - Tarino Monster said...

i seldom go out in dubai, simply because everything irks me. therefore i'd say i can save a considerable amount every mth. it depends on ur lifestyle, i have seen a lot of crew who go out a lot, clubbing and buying branded stuff. i dunno whether they r able 2 save money but even i who don't spend that much feel like i havent saved enough, so who knows. UAE dirhams are dropping so if u exchange into RM, it's not that much

Anonymous said...

thanks.... all the best in your undertakings...