Thursday, June 12, 2008

Best layover, Worst flight









Yeah that was what happened to me on my Toronto flight.

Right, I finally set my feet on the Canadian soil.

Been requesting it every month and finally got it.

I've heard that the flight on the way there is bad because it's full of demanding in du ren.

But I didn't expect it to be HORRIBLE! HELLISH! EXCRUCIATING!

14 hours. That was how long it was. I actually worked non-stop for 10.5 hours.

We had horizontal rest for 3.5 hours each.

By non-stop, I mean NON-STOP.

The moment I walked through the cabin, 10 paxs would ask me for something. When I went back to give them what they requested,another 10 paxs would stop me. It was a VICIOUS cycle!

My senior finally thought it was too much for me and asked me to take a breather. I told her I would love to, but I can't because it went onand on and on and on and on...

On top of that, many of the passengers were not only demanding but impatient as well. They will grab my arm and kept asking for things.I felt like I was running all over the aircraft like a mad woman! Seriously!

On a happier note, a passenger actually stopped me to tell me that I did a great job ^_^

At first, I thought he meant the whole team. But later when I was passing by and he was talking to my colleague, he actually pointed me out and said it again. I was both embarrassed and happy. He was asking me how was I able to do that, it was amazing. Well, at least my hard work paid off and a passenger actually appreciated it. And my wonderful senior was so kind that she made appraisals for 3 of us whom she thought worked really hard, just to let our managers know we did a great job.

By the time I arrived at the hotel, I was completely beaten. I felt like sleeping with all my make-up on and I am a person who always removes her make-up no matter what. Well, I did, in the end. I didn't even shower though. I felt sore from head to toe, literally.

Next morning when I was taking a shower, there was a weird sensation on the sole of my left foot. Straight away I suspected my skin there must be peeling. True enough, when I checked after the shower, a patch of skin the size of a 50sen coin was coming loose but it didn't actually peel yet. So I had to tear it open and peel it away. I also peeled another patch of skin on my big toe as well.Then I had breakfast with another crew and went out to Niagara Falls with a group of crew, including the Purser (head steward/stewardess).

The Purser was a really nice guy. I did a Zurich flight with him once. Thanks to his planning, we rented an SUV and he drove us to the Falls. Although there was a bit of hitches in the beginning because we didn't know the way, we still managed to get there safely and quite quickly. Best thing was, each of us only paid $20 for the car (there were 8 of us) and another $3 for the parking at Niagara.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I finally saw the Falls! I couldn't even believe that I was actually there. If it hasn't been for this job, I don't think I would ever be able to go there at all! Or maybe not so soon. And now I even have free accommodation and ride! Well, I had to work my way there. But it was worth it. However, I don't think I'll ever do that flight again cos it was a real killer. I've seen the Niagara Falls so that's it.

Weather was simply lovely! We were in luck cos I heard it was still rainy and cloudy a few days before. And the weather channel on Yahoo! says the highest temperature was only 8 or 9 degrees. But it was around 18 degrees in the afternoon so it wasn't that cold and I actually sweat a bit under my thick jacket and had to remove it sometimes.

It was a bit intimidating when looking at the Falls, actually. It was massive and it seemed like water was pouring down from everywhere. I imagined that my bones can be easily crushed if I were to fall over the barrier on the viewing bay.There was a lot of tulips in the area surrounding the Falls. Never before had I seen so many tulips together! Yellow, pink, red, orange, they were everywhere!And I'm telling ya, that place is huge! There were amusement parks, shops and aviary spread across the entire area.

After we were done with the Falls, we went to downtown Niagara. The houses that we passed by were simply amazing! All of them looked like dollhouses that I could previously only see on TV. It was so unreal. It was hard to imagine that people actually live inside but well, they do! There were farmhouses with trucks parked on the side; there were cosy cottages and also gigantic mansions.

Me and another Malaysian crew kept going OOH AAH WOW while looking out the window.

Now I finally understand why Canada is a popular place for retirement. It's full of wide open spaces and the country side is simply gorgeous! I would love to live there when I get old!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

beautiful pics! i can't help but lol at your "in du ren" part =) i agree it's absolutely truth to the t!