Friday, June 13, 2008

The will to live

The other day, I came back from my 12-day leave to find my small potted plant lying dead. Well, it looked dead anyway. Shoulda taken a picture of it to show you what I mean. The leaves looked withered and the stems were not erect at all, as I said, it was just lying there lifeless.

I felt like I killed it.

Now, people always say it is bad to give a plant too much water, especially in an air-conditioned environment. But although the leaves looked withered, most of them hadn't turn yellow yet. So I thought why not.

Thus, I put a lot of water into the pot and went to bed.

8 hours later, I woke up to find one third of the stems were slowly beginning to stand up again. It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen. I wouldn't have thought it only takes such a short time for it to recover. I was afraid that I can't save it after all but it worked.

The water was absorbed quickly. In just a few hours' time, the plant had soaked up the amount of water enough for 5 days. It was as though it was parched and thirsty. Well, I supposed it must have been.

By afternoon the next day, the plant was almost as good as when I left it 12 days ago.

Now it's even more robust than before. I guess what doesn't kill you really does make you stronger, aye.

No comments: