Friday, August 04, 2006

Here it comes again

It comes in a sudden realization of horror.

Sometimes you don't even notice until moments, or even, days later.

A stinging pain follows next.

Tiny cracks of red ooze from the skin, slowly spreading across the fine lines like river.

The red river will finally stop at some point, where the stream stops growing, unless you have a real deep one.



Paper cuts.



That's what I was babbling about.

It's quite a common sucker in my line of profession, where you are involved in the process of doing mock-ups of artworks when necessary.

It happened almost every day during my last job, whereby my company prints namecards, brochures, leaflets, etc. After I print, I was required to cut the print-outs into the intended size.

Imagine the cuts I got from those days. Every day.

Even if I was lucky enough to evade the ruthless attack of the modern papyrus, the blade would think of ways to come and get at me (my hands, to be more exact).

So it was quite common that when the cut wasn't too deep, I wouldn't even realize it until a few days later. I would wonder and instantly guess where I got that from.

I seldom get it on my current job, however.



Now fast forward back to the present, which was a few moments ago.

I was doing a mock-up for a client, therefore the usual cutting, pasting and folding.

After I cut off the excess paper, I pulled it away from underneath to be discarded into the wastebasket.

The edge slid across the flesh between my thumb and index finger.

No feeling of pain yet. But I was too experienced in this and was anticipating the subsequent sting.

Waited.

And waited.

Blood was spreading out. I sucked it.

Still no pain.

More blood.

Okay, I'm going to the sink to wash it. Just let me feel some pain so I know I'm still alive, ok?

Placed the affected area under running water.

Where is the pain?

Gradually, I could feel it coming from under my skin.

Damn.

I still have to finish the mock-up. Red stream was still spreading.
I tore a piece from the toilet roll and wedged it between my thumb and index.

Continued cutting and pasting.

Hate paper cuts.

No comments: