Saturday, December 25, 2004

When We Were Little...

I went shopping with my boy and his 2 friends today at Berjaya Times Square. They wanted to do their Chinese New Year shopping. Well, I didn't shop because I've already shopped a minimum of 2 times this month, guess I gotta save it for next month then. It was a sweltering hot day and we shopped from around 1330 hour to approximately 1700 hour. I can't really remember the time.

At the end of the day, we were really exhausted so we sat down on a bench in the mall. Three little girls were turning the different coloured square mosaics on the floor into their own little game. They looked like they were really having fun. Even when an adult walked right into one of the girls and she nearly fell down, she continued playing the game of walking on the mosaic without any distractions.

I really admired her focus. When we were little, we could turn everything into a game and have fun like no one else's business. We didn't care what others think of us. We were totally self-centered and basically, just do our own things. We were happy. We wanted so much to become an adult, fast. But once we step into the real world of adulthood, we begin to realize that it wasn't all that we dreamt it to be. The cold, hard, cruel world suddenly bares itself naked right in front of our naive and ignorant eyes. We were stunned, startled, aghast, taken aback, stupefied.

We go into self-denial. Suddenly, we just want to turn back time and go back to our happy little world of when we were five years old. If only we can learn to be self-contented. To be happy with what we have and make the most out of it. Perhaps we will be better off both emotionally and physically.

Perhaps me, too, should stop envying those kids and start appreciating what I have around me. Like, Shyan, for instance, and stop upsetting him with my tantrums.

No comments: