Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I love you, E!

I did a freelance copywriting job for Cheryl's company 2 weeks ago. Yeah I know my English level is turning for the worse but I didn't ask for the job, okay? It found me haha. Her boss asked whether I wanted to do it cos I did some translations for them previously. English to Mandarin. Free of charge. The boss was pretty happy with the result, I guess.

Frankly speaking, I wasn't very confident about my ability in finishing this job either. But well, it was good money so I gave in to the temptation. If money is knocking on your door, can't really shoo it away right? Sinful.

So, with the help of modern Internet tools like the online translator and dictionary, I managed to get everything done in just one night! Starting to admire myself haha. Everything means 3 sets of slogans and body text for 3 press ads. I even gave them a few options for slogans for each one. Same goes for text, whenever I can come up with more than one.

However, even the online translator can't really help me this time cos all of it gotta be in English and Malay. Well, since Malay isn't an international language, it was pretty tedious task for me to get the language tools for it online. Worse, the online English-Malay dictionary by Karyanet frequently encounters server down-time so I deemed it useless. However, all was well cos I borrowed the conventional dictionary from Mala beforehand.

Last week, Cheryl called to inform me of an additional ad. So I needed to come up with another set of copy for them. My fee was increased, of course.

I only spent a total or 4 hours maximum to finishing writing everything. As usual with advertising jobs, I anticipated amendments. There were none. I couldn't believe my luck! And now all I have to do is wait for my cheque! According to Cheryl, her boss will hand me 2 other jobs if this one is successful. Really hope so.

Money money fast fast come! Haha. Any freelancers will know how it is to collect payments from clients. I just hope Cheryl's boss is a good paymaster. I'm just a bit worried about my Malay translation and possibly the usage of some English words. So scared that once it gets published, there will be endless mistakes to be spotted by the experts. Please don't let that happen to me! Of course, knowing what are wrong will lessen my mistakes in the future. Guess I have to face that, like it or not.

But really, the whole thing was so easy. Unlike the freelance design job I used to do - beat the hell outta me! Sleepless nights, headaches, follow-ups, all these and I gotta juggle my day job as well! Once and that was enough for me. Oh, I didn't pitch it as well, a customer of my last company asked me to do it. I declined because I know I'm too lazy to have to go through hell. But the customer was so very nice I just couldn't refuse totally. And so I took it anyway.

See, copywriting is so much more easier to me. Maybe because freelance is easier. Not so sure how it'd be like if I'm in a company or agency. I applied for a few copywriter positions previously but didn't get selected. Hey, this job can be included in my portfolio!

Shyan was so envious because just a few hours work had earned me a few hundred bucks. Haha I can deal with that any day!

Study hard, people! Language is such a powerful tool nowadays!

I've always loved English but didn't know it could earn me my livelihood. Look at what's happening now!

2 comments:

Love a Lot said...

Talli, they have recruitment now... closing date by 7th October... Quick

Korshovaster - Tarino Monster said...

thx a lot, Penny!

but it's only for east malaysian. i din notice it too haha. my fren pointed it out to me. hv 2 wait 4 few more mths then...