Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Emirates Final Interview

I had a mild fever last night. To prevent it from developing into a full-blown inferno, I took again the medicines I got from the doc on Sunday. My colleague says I'm probably too nervous about the interview. Hell, I dunno, I try not to expect too much, so why should I be nervous or excited at all?

I went to sleep quite early this time. At around midnight - after I got all the documents ready and photocopied and did another facial mask to get rid of the fatigue showing on my face.

My final interview appointment was 9.45am. But I was already there at 9am. I tried not to feel anything as Kathryn (another candidate) told me it was supposed to be a casual chat and I shouldn't be nervous.

The girl from the time slot before me was already waiting outside the room when I reached there. Approximately 45 minutes was allotted for each candidate but the actual interview time may be less. I greeted the girl and proceeded to the ladies. When I was back again, the girl had already entered the room.

I waited about 10 minutes before the girl finally came out and informed the interviewer that I had already arrived. I continued waiting as the interviewer did not give me further instructions to enter the room.

It was another 5 minutes' wait before the interviewer, Randa, popped her head out the door and invited me to enter. We greeted each other with a smile and out of the blue, she exclaimed, "Oh, I see something interesting already! Come inside!"

I was a bit surprised but happy that at least we had something else to talk about. As soon as I entered the room, she took hold of the fancy keychain on my bag and commented about how nice it was. The keychain was actually made up of a portion of a faux bold gold necklace my friend bought for me from Hong Kong and a black dangly keychain that I bought at Momoe, Midvalley. I told her I combined the two because the black keychain wasn't quite visible against my dark brown bag, so I added the gold bit because that necklace was very tacky anyway. Well, I didn't explain to her in as much detail as in here but it was close to what I told her. Anyway, the little chitchat really lightened up the situation!

By the way, there was only 1 interviewer this time. I heard some of the girls had 2 interviewers.

The interview began with Randa collecting all the necessary documents from me. Then she quizzed me on my past experiences as a waitress. Did u go the extra mile for customers? What was the situation like? Have you ever helped a customer solved a problem? How? Was there ever a situation where you were working in a team and there were problems that need to be solved? How did you solve it? Were there any negative comments from people about you? How did you handle and overcome it?

You will be asked to give specific examples here. If the interviewer thinks the example is not sufficient, she will ask you to give another one. The key here is to relax and talk normally. Don't let your nervousness affect you and it will be fine.

Right now I can only keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best! But I would have to forget about it for awhile first because I gotta wait 6 long weeks for the result!

Best of lucks to me!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds like fun!

yeshh wish ya all the luck u can get! :D

Korshovaster - Tarino Monster said...

it's an experience...
but the wait for the result is the killer!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing your experience. good luck! by the way, im from asia and i'll be looking forward for more of your posts! thanks again and we wish you best of luck :)

Korshovaster - Tarino Monster said...

hey anonymous,

all the best to u too if u r tryin out 2 be a cabin crew!

as 4 my future posts, i'm a lazy blogger so my post may only come once in a blue moon ;D